Whether you’re ready now to make changes to your governance, membership, or bylaw structures, or you’re planning for the future, the Get Ready for the ONCA site can help you decide what to do and when.
Thanks to the Lisa Wohrle at Ontario Arts Council for passing along this useful resource.
New resources available now
Whether you’re ready now to make changes to your governance, membership, or bylaw structures, or your’re planning for the future, the Get Ready for the ONCA site can help you decide what to do and when.
We’ve added more than a dozen new free tools to our website.
Check out these resources:
- Getting started: What documents do you need? – This tool helps you find or replace essential documents.
- Governance overview: What changes do you need to make? – This tool gives an overview of the ONCA, including references to the specific sections of the legislation that govern each area.
- Membership under the ONCA – This resource discusses the implications of member rights under the ONCA and gives advice on how to avoid problems.
- Membership structures – This tool outlines the pros and cons of different membership structures considering the ONCA’s changes to membership.
- Directory of lawyers and Choosing a lawyer – These resources help you hire a lawyer who is experienced with nonprofit and charity law.
- New FAQs
Plus 6 new bylaw resources:
- Bylaw basics
- How to adjust existing bylaws
- Mandatory bylaw rules
- Default bylaw rules
- Optional bylaw rules
- Sample bylaws with options
The new tools are both online and printable. Tell us what you think of them, or what’s missing, by completing our short website survey when it pops up on your screen.
Election delays ONCA further
There is no firm date when Ontario’s Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, 2010 (ONCA) will take effect.
A technical amendments bill known as Bill 85 was introduced in the Ontario legislature in June 2013, but it died on the order paper when the provincial election was called. A new technical amendments bill will need to be re-introduced, debated and passed in a future session of the legislature. That means that the ONCA is not likely to take effect until 2015 or later.
Get Ready for the ONCA scaling back
The Get Ready for the ONCA project is scaling down while we wait for a new date for the ONCA.
We will keep answering questions and sending occasional updates on the ONCA, and will offer more training and help to organizations when a new proclamation date is announced.
Get Ready for the ONCA is a CLEO project that supports nonprofit organizations as they prepare for the ONCA. CLEO produces clear, accurate, and practical legal information to help people understand and exercise their legal rights. Get Ready for the ONCA will:
- share existing resources about the ONCA
- produce helpful new tools and checklists
- develop webinars and other educational events
Please forward this ebulletin widely. Subscribe to receive it directly at nonprofitlaw.cleo.on.ca.
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
119 Spadina Avenue, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5V 2L1